Monday, June 18, 2012

It's been a trying few months for me. Not really writing wise. But things have been happening that really took my mind off everything.

Still. I wrote for a period again before when and for a short while after I attended a writer's camp.

I've been digging for the pieces for awhile and I've finally found the one I wanted to post here.

I've been dabbling a little into poetry writing, which many of you might be aware I am rubbish at. But who knows, I may get better.

Don't expect anything much in the meantime.

Anyhow. Here it is.

I never knew I could write with prompts before, but I was forced to during the camp and it didn't turn out so bad.

**************************************

They stared awkwardly out at him from the photo. It was obvious that they were all trying to smile. Out of the five, only three were successful, and out of the three, only two seemed to smile with ease.

The photo was set in Sepia, though naturally the age of sepia had long passed. Perhaps they were a young strapping bunch of musicians, chasing their another record deal, or their first. Failing and fading into obscurity with no impression but the one he had rescued from the studio floor. They sat, or stood; a rock band without instruments.

He coughed as the dust within the old musty place got into his throat, stirring up more swirls of matter that rose up from the ancient amplifiers and once completely soundproof walls. The studio was his now, and would be where dreams would be grown, and made. Some of them, as the photo reminded him, only like fruit growing from a tree to an immense size, ultimately falling to the ground and bursting, with even the seeds being eaten by the disrespectful wild.

Why the photo had been left behind by the previous owners he did not know. Probably simply forgotten in the clutter and chaos that must have marked the previous end. He straightened and pinned it up next to his treasured autographed poster of the Beatles that dominated the far wall. Maybe this time, some seeds would remain.

***********************

It's short, sorry.

I wish I could find the photo, it really is quite quaint.

I don't recognise the band, I assumed they must have been. 3 middle aged nerdy looking white guys, one 30+ chinese/japanese dude and perched on the couch that dominated the photo, an unmistakably japanese girl who couldn't have been more than twenty at max, giving an innocent smile.

Hmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment