Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Diary of Remember Allerton, daughter of Isaac Allerton

This is a story Clio wrote for homework. It is an entry into a diary written by a little girl aboard the Mayflower when it landed in 1620. She was not sure whether she should post it as it uses a radically different style from her usual writing. But she thought she would prove that she can branch out to different genres.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

November 11, 1620.

After weeks (or what felt like forever) of sailing aboard the Mayflower, we finally landed on dry land today. Well, maybe it was not dry, but it sure was good to see land again. We landed on the beaches of Cape Cod, Massachusetts.

Mother, during that awful voyage, always said to be grateful we can go to the New World, but I really want to get off this boat! Unfortunately, we cannot. I have no idea why, but everyone seems really worried about some patent. I have no idea what a patent is; mother told me it tells us where we can live. That confused me, because I thought we came over here so that we did not have to be told where to live. But apparently this patent is a big deal.

I felt the worst today when we were on the Hudson River. I overheard the crew talking about how dangerous it was to be traveling there. I guess that is why we turned around. I really hope I can get off this shop tomorrow because after this many people shared the ship for that long it smells here real bad.

I am still feeling a little seasick although we have been docked for several hours. And everyone is looking a little poorly. I really hope no one gets sick. Mother, who is never ill, is feeling so. But father blames it on the new baby that will be coming.

The New World looks amazing! It is so unlike crowded Leiden back home. The first thing I noticed was the greenness. Every shade of green imaginable, it is here. I stood by the side of the boat for hours just staring over the side of the boat. I saw hundreds of fish in the waters, and sometimes, I would catch of glimpse of an animal running through the forest. How I long to go run out there after being cooped up on this vessel for such a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment